Lawrence Weston Community Farm: Farm Hands Sun
day Engagement Worker (8-11yrs olds)
To organise and deliver weekly Farm Hands sessions for 8 – 11yr olds who are in need of positive activities at Lawrence Weston Community Farm. This may be for a range of reasons including low self esteem,
engaging in antisocial behaviour, being in care, being a young carer, poor behaviour/achievement at school.
We work with local schools, the police, social services and agencies working with young people and families to offer places to those children most in need. Children are also able to apply directly themselves for a place.
During the sessions Farm Hands help with all aspects of community farming including cleaning, feeding, collecting eggs and handling the animals. As well as other activities such as gardening, making things, woodland activities and cooking
We evaluate the success of the project through weekly observations, monitoring and feedback.
Farm Hands project is funded by BBC Children in Need
Skills and Abilities
• Able to engage, supervise and motivate young people with a range of educational and behavioural needs
• Good interpersonal skills, organisational skills and team work skills
• Able to handle all routine day-to-day farm tasks including animal feeding, handling and cleaning pens and basic horticultural maintenance. Training will be given in these areas if needed.
• Good IT skills including spreadsheets.
• Able to facilitate a range of creative sessions for young people (craft, woodwork, printing, making etc)
• Understanding of the role of Risk Assessments in a community organisation
• Understanding of Child Protection in an open access organisation
• Understanding of Equal Opportunities and how to relate knowledge to young people
• Understanding the impact of deprivation on young people’s lives
• Understanding of how a voluntary organisation operates
• Awareness of sustainability and local environmental issues
• Commitment to working within a team environment for the benefit of the wider organisation, its service users and local community.
Education and Training
• Youth work, play, childcare, teaching qualification or minimum of 1 yr experience of working with 8 – 11yr olds.
• First aid qualified
• Child Protection Training
• Forest School Leader Qualification LV3
• Minimum of 1years experience of working with young people 8 – 11yrs old in a formal or informal setting
• Experience of training/supervising/supporting young people with low self esteem/behaviour issues
• Experience of working in a voluntary organisation
• Experience of working outdoors with animals
• Experience of delivering Forest School / woodland based activities
• Experience of working in an open access setting
Hours & contract
7 hrs per week on a Sunday Fixed
Permanent 19K pro rata
For a full job description and person specification please visit our website www.lwfarm.org.uk
then post to address below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawrence Weston Community Farm
0117 938 1128
Closing date – Monday 2nd July 5pm
Interviews Wednesdays 11th July