The AFMT awards grants to disadvantaged young people to develop an existing interest and experience in adventurous outdoor activities. This includes walking, climbing, cycling, kayaking, sailing, horse riding – either self-planned or for residential courses at an outdoor centre. Mostly, we’re looking for enthusiasm, initiative and a sense of adventure.
You should only apply for funding if you fulfil all these criteria:
- You (or the young person/people for whom you are applying) are developing existing experience and interest.
- There is an element of adventure in your plans.
- The activity is taking place within the United Kingdom.
- You have done some fund-raising for the activity or adventure.
- You are prepared to write a short report after your adventure/s.
- The AFMT does not fund taster sessions, one-off trips or residential trips for large groups.
- We are unlikely to support environmental organisations unless there is a strong element of adventure.
- We don’t support foreign trips.
- We don’t support capital projects (eg for buildings, materials etc).
- We do not fund purchases of equipment for group activities. We only consider funding equipment if it is for an individual who is showing long term commitment to their activity.
- Each year we give eight to twelve grants averaging £400 each.